Who is OrbiMed?
With approximately $19 billion in assets under management and over 20 years of investment experience in the healthcare industry, OrbiMed Advisors, LLC has proven a steady venture capital partner. OrbiMed focuses on investing in biopharmaceuticals, medical devices, diagnostics, and healthcare companies with the potential to change and save patient lives.
Over the years, OrbiMed has built a strong foundation for successful investments due to its operating skills, investment experience, and scientific understanding. From early-stage companies to national corporations, OrbiMed discovers global companies with innovations that will help ensure humanity experiences healthier and longer lives.
Initially founded in 1989 in New York City, OrbiMed is now a global company with operations in San Francisco, Mumbai, Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Herzliya.
The investment team spans both public equity and private markets and includes over 100 experienced professionals with expertise in various sectors such as law, medicine, biosciences, and finance.
Recently, Orbimed has raised $3.5 billion across private investment funds. These funds are described below:
- OrbiMed Private Investments VIII ($1.5 billion): Invests in venture capital stage opportunities in North America and Europe. This fund targets $10 million to $100 million investments across 40 portfolio companies.
- OrbiMed Asia Partners IV ($800 million): Primarily invests in companies in China and India across pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, healthcare services, and diagnostics. This fund targets $10 million to $100 million across 20 portfolio companies.
- Royalty & Credit Opportunities III ($1.2 billion): Invests in healthcare companies and institutions through structured credit and royalty monetization financing solutions. Investments through this fund involve $10 million to $150 million per opportunity.
Excedr leases equipment to and fully outfits venture-backed research laboratories. If this sounds like you, lease the cutting-edge lab equipment you need, extend your cash runway, and save money for other critical areas of operations.
OrbiMed Investment Strategies
OrbiMed has invested in the healthcare industry for the last 20 years. These investments are diversified from seed-stage venture capital to large publicly traded companies. There are three basic investment strategies OrbiMed implements:
- Public Equity: OrbiMed invests across publicly traded medical device and healthcare companies. Fund management is seen in long/short event-driven equity funds and closed-end investments. These investments are made worldwide across all types of public-traded companies, from biotech to medical devices.
- Private Equity: This is OrbiMed’s broad and flexible strategy, investing in startups through growth equity. This strategy is more geographically limited to North America, Asia, Europe, and Israel. OrbiMed is a lead investor and aims to uplift portfolio companies.
- Private Credit/Royalty: Provider of non-dilutive structured debt capital to commercial-stage healthcare companies; it also finances solutions to owners of intellectual property.
OrbiMed Companies and Ventures
OrbiMed aims to discover investment opportunities in the healthcare sector to promote health science innovations in immunotherapy, gene therapy, and gene editing. This is to support technologies with the potential to cure diseases and enhance healthcare globally.
- Acutus Medical: An arrhythmia management company that aims to improve the diagnosis and treatment of cardiac arrhythmias. Acutus is currently working to develop an electro-anatomical mapping catheter for procedures that require atrial fibrillation ablation.
- Cyrus Biotechnology: A privately-held biotech software company focused on developing biologically active proteins using computational biology.
- Graybug Vision: A clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company using innovative technology to treat chronic diseases of the retina and optic nerve. Graybug Vision develops products to reduce the frequency of dosing for ocular therapies.
- Prothelia: A pre-clinical stage biopharmaceutical company committed to developing treatments for patients who have muscular dystrophy. Specifically, Prothelia is focusing on patients with LAMA2 deficient congenital muscular dystrophy.
- SpringWorks Therapeutics: A clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company developing therapies targeting rare tumor types and genetically defined cancers. These are based on targeted oncology to create new paths to cancer breakthroughs.
- Verona Pharma: A pharma company that develops innovative prescription medicines to treat respiratory diseases.
- Xtant Medical: A manufacturer and supplier of regenerative medicine and products with orthopedic and neurological applications. These include orthobiologics for bone healing, implants, and the treatment of orthopedic disorders.
Learn more about the other companies and ventures in Orbimed’s investment portfolio.
Save Money for Critical Areas of Business Through Flexible Leasing
The global healthcare industry sees an unprecedented need for R&D and continuous innovation. As such, OrbiMed has taken the opportunity to identify and make investments in the life science sector to help humanity treat and ultimately recover from these life-threatening conditions. It aims to promote technology-driven innovations in the healthcare industry and is actively seeking investment opportunities.
To attract investors, your lab needs the best quality instruments and a high-class lab setting. However, buying new equipment to set up a high-quality laboratory can often break a lab’s budget.
To know more, contact our representatives today!
If your lab wants to acquire high-quality equipment but needs to extend its cash runway, consider leasing through Excedr. We can help you get the lab equipment you need at an affordable rate, saving you time and money before you need to start a new round of funding.