What Does SR One Offer Life Science Companies?
Last updated on July 26, 2022 by
An Overview of SR One Capital Management
Venture capital firms are considered one of the major pillars to supporting and strengthening the healthcare infrastructure. They identify, invest, and guide startups with transformative ideas to market their products, benefiting and improving human lives.
This is the goal of SR One Management.
SR One is an investment fund and company founded in 1985 by GlaxoSmithKline (GSK); it is committed to improving the health of patients with unmet medical needs. It does this by translating innovative technologies into next-generation medicines.
SR One has partnered with top scientists, entrepreneurs, and investment partners to build strategies that support the growth and development of elite biotech companies.
The company has an expert team with diverse experience in research, business, and financing. It is currently led by Simeon George (CEO) and Executive Managing Partner, Rajeev Dadoo. Other partners include Matthew Foy, Jill Carroll, and Eliot Charles.
In this article, we will review SR One’s investment strategies and portfolio companies.
Excedr leases equipment to and fully outfits venture-backed research laboratories. If this sounds like you, lease the cutting-edge lab equipment you need, extend your cash runway, and save money for other critical areas of operations.
SR One in the News
SR One Capital Management has recently made headlines for many big steps and investments. Here, you can get a picture of its recent moves in raising funds for its companies and its own growth.
- In April 2021, Pandion Therapeutics—an SR One portfolio company—that develops modular antibodies and proteins to treat inflammatory and autoimmune disorders, was acquired by Merck at a purchase price of $60 per share. Now, Pandion is a completely owned subsidiary of Merck.
- Design Therapeutics closed its initial public offering at approximately $276 million—a gross amount, without deduction of any commission, underwriting discounts, and offering expenses. They were funded by SR One.
Design Therapeutics is a biotechnology company designing and developing a gene-targeted chimera platform to treat severe degenerative disorders.
- The company expanded its expert team by adding two venture partners: Chris Chai and Peter Van Vlasselaer, Ph.D. They both have strong backgrounds in the formation and development of early-stage biotech companies, with a focus on fundraising, drug development, and operations.
- In November 2020, SR One raised $500 million, the first independent fund, after completing its spinout from GSK. This has been the biggest move for the company. Through this fundraising, it has established itself as an independent fund management business. The company will use the funds to build transformative life sciences companies that will address the issue of unmet demands in medical and clinical fields.
SR One Capital Management invests in life sciences and biotech companies that make transformational discoveries and improve people’s lives by translating the innovations into new treatments and therapies.
Its companies work on the diagnosis and treatment of some highly challenging diseases, such as cancer, autoimmune, or brain disorders.
Since 1985, SR One has invested around $680 million in 35 public and private companies. Have a glance at some of its funded portfolio companies:
- Arcellx: This company is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to developing novel, controllable, and adoptive cell therapies tailored specifically to treat cancer patients and patients with autoimmune diseases.
- With ARC-SparX platform cell therapies, the company envisions bringing cell therapies to patients all over the world, who will be able to administer prescribed amounts of SparX protein after receiving some training.
2. Crispr Therapeutics: A biotechnology company committed to developing a pipeline of gene-based medicines to treat patients suffering from life-threatening diseases such as cancer, hemoglobinopathies, and diabetes.
- Aside from advancing its immunology, blood stem cell, and regenerative medicine programs, the company has numerous clinical trials running for diseases such as sickle cell anemia, B-cell malignancies, and β-thalassemia (a blood disease).
3. Design Therapeutics: A biotech company specializing in designing and developing small-molecule genomic medicines that can treat inherited degenerative diseases.
- Its novel small-molecule therapeutic candidates, gene-targeted chimeras (GeneTACs™), target and bind to nucleotide repeat sequences and modulate its expression to restore a patient’s health.
- Examples of diseases with sequence repeats include Friedreich ataxia, myotonic dystrophy type-1, Huntington disease, and Fuchs’ endothelial corneal dystrophy.
4. Decibel Therapeutics: A clinical-stage biotech company committed to providing treatments for hearing loss and balance disorders.
- It has created a gene therapy platform, capable of selectively replacing genes for the treatment of acquired hearing and balance disorders by regenerating inner ear hair cells.
5. Fore: A precision oncology company that develops cancer therapies by utilizing functional genomics knowledge.
- Its extraordinary AI-based drug discovery platform accurately identifies the untargeted, oncogenic mutation and matches the potential drug candidates to treat particular cancers.
6. Navitor Pharmaceuticals: This company is a biotech company that designs and develops treatments for age-related disorders.
- Its Navalog platform involves the modulation of the mTORC-1 pathway, leading to curing a spectrum of diseases such as depression, chronic kidney disease, heart failure, rare epilepsy, and polycystic kidney disease.
7. Pulmocide: A biotech company specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of life-threatening respiratory infections. In addition to a targeted pulmonary fungal infection treatment, the company produces novel inhaled medicines to treat other severe respiratory diseases.
8. Nkarta Therapeutics: A biotech company that harnesses the full potential of immune cells, such as natural killer cells (or NK cells), to treat a variety of cancers.
- In addition to boosting natural killer cells’ inherent abilities to identify, target, and kill tumor cells, Nkarta’s differentiated cell therapy approach also features better safety profiles for cancer patients.
9. Xap Therapeutics: This biotech company specializes in developing multi-modal therapies to cure a variety of complex diseases, including cancer and autoimmunity.
- They have engineered cells that can carry a wide range of therapeutic payloads such as cytokines, nucleic acids, and antibodies that release the molecules only after recognizing their targets.
If you are looking to learn more about the portfolio companies of SR One Capital Management, visit www.srone.com.
Equip Your Lab & Attract Investors With the Help of Excedr
SR One Capital Management, created as the venture capital arm of GSK, provides capital for the growth and development of innovative biopharma and biotechnology companies.
Since its establishment in 1985, the company has raised $680 million and has 35 life sciences and biotech startups in its portfolio companies. Its invested companies are creating innovative therapeutics for severe diseases with unmet medical needs, such as cancers, autoimmune, and genetic disorders.
It takes a lot of work and initial results to convince investors that your idea could create a real benefit to human health. This is more challenging when you don’t have cutting-edge equipment that adds more value and validity to your work.
Excedr makes it easier for scientists. We help researchers outfit their labs with any/all desired equipment, ranging from life science, clinical, analytical, or any general biology lab instruments on lease.
You can procure customized equipment through our program, fitting your operational needs while also eliminating the headache of upfront costs with our flexible lease structures. Accelerate the process of turning your ideas into reality and reduce the hassle of persuading investors to fund your research!
Want to acquire high-quality equipment without significantly eating into your company’s cash runway? Lease through Excedr. We can help you get the lab equipment you need at an affordable rate, saving you money for other critical areas and adding time before you need to start a new round of funding.