World Leaders in Serving Science: Thermo Fisher Scientific
One of the biggest concerns in the medical industry is the accuracy of patient diagnostics. It is estimated that 10% of patient deaths are due to erroneous diagnostics and are the primary reason behind liability claims.
Fortunately, leading manufacturers and innovators such as Thermo Fisher Scientific are constantly working to minimize that number and mitigate any patient risk.
Thermo Fisher is a world leader in life science that finds innovative ways to solve all sorts of issues that challenge doctors, researchers, and scientists. Its mission is to create a world that is cleaner, healthier, and safer by providing the necessary tools and resources to its clientele. Thermo Fisher aims to:
- Expedite life sciences research.
- Enhance patient diagnostics and therapies in healthcare.
- Resolve complex analytical difficulties.
- Increase high-quality output in laboratories.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is based in Waltham, Massachusetts, and was created in 2006 when Fisher Scientific and Thermo Scientific joined forces. Together, it is now a $30 billion conglomerate with ownership of 5 other brands:
In April of 2021, the company announced it is additionally acquiring the company PPD, Inc. This acquisition will position Thermo Fisher as a global leader in clinical research services, adding drug production to its list of specialties, an issue that has been at the forefront of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Want to review the products and techniques that allow Thermo Fisher to maintain this level of excellent R&D? This article will explore the work of Thermo Fisher, their product offerings, and how your lab can procure the same cutting-edge resources.
Need to procure high-caliber lab equipment but don’t have the budget for an outright purchase? Leasing through Excedr can help alleviate your financial obstacles. Get a customized leasing solution today.
Thermo Fisher Applications and Techniques
With the rise of DNA analysis, studying antibodies, and discovering treatments, Thermo Fisher has been there to offer a helping hand.
Whether you are working in life sciences or creating new agricultural systems, Thermo Fisher has the expertise and applicable products and techniques to supplement your R&D.
Life Sciences is one of Thermo Fisher’s most robust applications and areas of focus. Kits, machines, software, and all the necessary tools are available. There are also free resources to support your work and publish your scientific findings.
There are so many options; the breadth alone makes Thermo Fisher the first choice for those working in the life sciences industry. Here is a comprehensive list of research fields and techniques that Thermo Fisher supports:
- Cell Analysis
- Cell Culture & Transfection
- DNA & RNA Extraction & Analysis
- Epigenetics & ncRNA Research
- Flow Cytometry
- Gene Expression Analysis & Genotyping
- Genome Editing
- Microarray Analysis
- Oligos, Primers, Probes & Genes
- Protein Biology
- Real-Time PCR
- Stem Cell Research
- Synthetic Biology
A workflow can make or break a laboratory. Thermo Fisher has positioned itself as a reliable company that will improve your workflow efficiency and throughput capabilities in various industrial and applied sciences.
They offer specialized products, services, and support to everyone in biologically-based manufacturing. From workflow resolutions, reagents, test kits, consultations to improve processes, and instrumentation for genetic analysis, Thermo Fisher supports the following:
- Animal Health
- Biotech Company Solutions
- Cement, Coal & Minerals
- Drug Discovery & Development
- Electron Microscopy
- Food & Beverage
- Manufacturing & Processing
- Mass Spectrometry
- Materials Science
- Pharma & Biopharma
- Radiation Detection & Measurement
- Safety & Security Threat Detection
- Semiconductor Analysis
- Spectroscopy, Elemental & Isotope Analysis
Clinical and diagnostic research has been quite popular in the past year. Between researching pathologies and the need to develop better diagnostics surrounding the novel coronavirus, the demands have grown exponentially.
Beyond pathologies, however, the company is also focused on improving and monitoring diagnostics and developing therapies that minimize human errors. Thermo Fisher is the leading provider of software, tools, and machinery that can help labs accomplish such breakthroughs. Areas of expertise include:
- Allergy Diagnostics
- Anatomical Pathology
- Autoimmune Diagnostics
- Cancer Research
- Cell & Gene Therapy
- Clinical Genomics
- Clinical Mass Spectrometry
- Clinical Microbiology
- Clinical & Translational Research
- Diagnostic Development
- Diagnostic Testing
- Precision Medicine
- Preclinical to Companion Diagnostic Development
- Public Health
Laboratories across the globe have to have specific tools, supplies, and software to manage their workload and supplement their research. Automation is necessary to cut down on wasted hours performing tedious tasks. As our technology advances and begins automating more and more of these tasks, our labs will be more successful as the years go by.
Thermo Fisher has done an excellent job at providing the necessary tools and resources to accomplish this. Thermo Fisher maintains their top position by providing labs the very best in:
- Lab Equipment
- Lab Plasticware & Supplies
- Sample Storage & Management
Digital solutions are absolutely necessary for every laboratory and clinic, and Thermo Fisher is a digital solutions provider that dominates this space. It doesn’t matter if you need to upgrade your current system or customize an entirely new system, you will find everything you need here.
Here are a few ways that their digital solutions can help you:
- Lab Informatics
- Connect Platform
- Instrument Connectivity
- Apps & Analysis Software
- Lab Automation
- Digital Services
- Digital Commerce
Thermo Fisher Product Categories
Laboratory safety is of the utmost importance to Thermo Fisher and its clientele. It provides items to help meet OSHA guidelines while simplifying your processes and workflows. Finding the right supplies for your needs is easy when you search by product categories.
Some items carry over into multiple categories, so you never have to worry about missing something. Here are the categories you will find:
- Laboratory Supplies: Supplies cover your consumable needs in your laboratory. Pipettes, vials, and tubes are the most common types of supplies they offer. Bottles, clamps, funnels, and racks are also available.
- Laboratory Equipment: Equipment covers some of the machines you will need for storage and most processes in the lab. Centrifuges and refrigerators are the top two examples of equipment you will find. Autoclaves, baths, shakers, and dispensers are also in this category.
- Laboratory Instruments: Scales, flow cytometers, and DNA sequencing systems are most commonly associated with instruments. You will also find microscopes, thermal cyclers (PCR machines), microarray scanners, and cellular imaging equipment in this category.
- Clinical and Diagnostics: Everything you need for diagnosing and testing in the clinic is in this category. Specimen collection, analyzers, and microbial identification test kits are available here. You can also find everything you need for blood and hematology testing products here.
- Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry: Chromatography columns, cartridges, and systems are all in this category, as well as everything you will need for spectrometry. You can also locate some supplies like microplates, vials, inserts, and syringes. Don’t forget to look for reagents and other provisions to perform your tasks!
- Cell Culture: Working with samples on a cellular level requires specialized tools and supplies to support the work you do. Flasks, microplates, and tubes are a few products offered in this category. Culture media, antibiotics, supplements, and biochemical reagents are also necessary tools in this section.
- Protein and Cell Analysis: All of your standard assays, reagents, and substrates are in this category. You can also find tools for dialysis, desalting, and purification. Kits are also available alongside cellular imaging and analysis equipment.
- Molecular Biology and Nucleic Acid Analysis: Make your lab life easier with Thermo’s kits and reagents meant for this specialized department. Buffers, standards, enzymes, and inhibitors are available for any type of test or analysis you need to conduct. You can find special equipment like fluorometers, nucleic acid purification systems, and gel electrophoresis equipment as well.
- Sequence-Specific Nucleic Acid Products: For the best in genotyping, check out this category. There are numerous TaqMan®-brand supplies and tools to help you perform tasks with DNA and RNA. There are also several items available to help with gene synthesis and cloning.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Brands
As mentioned, Thermo Fisher Scientific is an umbrella corporation for several brands. Let’s take a quick look at each of those and what they have to offer. (A more detailed look at each brand can be found on www.thermofisher.com.)
- Thermo Scientific: This brand provides specialized solutions for different scientific communities that focus on biotechnology, government, and environmental or industrial research.
- Applied Biosystems: When you want integrated systems for genetic analysis and analytical instruments, this is where you want to be. PCR, Sanger sequencing, and microarray analysis are this brand’s specialty.
- Invitrogen: This brand’s specialties lie at the cellular level. Antibodies, molecular biology, and protein biology are the primary distinction from the other Thermo Fisher brands.
- Fisher Scientific: The brand is similar to Thermo Fisher in that it is your one-stop-shop for all laboratory products. From masks and gloves to chemicals and diagnostic tests, it can all be found here.
- Unity Lab Services: This brand is focused on maintaining and repairing all your lab equipment and machines. They know how to keep your lab up and running with minimal downtime with the services they offer and can troubleshoot any product you buy from any Thermo Fisher brand.
- Patheon: This brand focuses on the journey of drug development in the pharmaceutical sector. Everything from commercial to development services is available here. They even offer clinical trial solutions to get your drug approved by the FDA as quickly as possible.
Excedr has been a financial savior for many laboratories that are working on a budget. Lease the cutting-edge lab equipment you need and accelerate your R&D and achieve milestones quicker.
How Excedr Can Accelerate Your Lab’s R&D
Thermo Fisher has a long history of serving science and R&D on a global scale. Its vast product portfolio and applications allow the company to be one of the world’s leading lab suppliers and solution providers.
What if your lab wants to utilize the same high-caliber equipment and technology Thermo Fisher provides industry-leading biotechs and therapeutics companies, but doesn’t have enough operating budget available to purchase equipment outright?
Consider leasing with Excedr, a creative, founder- and investor-friendly alternative to traditional equipment procurement.
Call us today and speak with one of our financial experts. We’ll walk you through all of your leasing options and help you procure the lab equipment you need!