Who is QIAGEN & How Do They Support Curing Fatal Diseases?
The key to unlocking the cure for fatal diseases is hidden in three building blocks of the body: DNA, RNA, and protein. To deliver deeper insights into these life-building and life-saving molecules, scientists and researchers need access to high-throughput technologies. This pursuit of understanding the building blocks of the body has the potential to revolutionize the way diseases are diagnosed and patients are cured.
QIAGEN is one such company dedicated to unlocking the cure for fatal diseases and answering many of life’s questions through innovation in the healthcare sector. Its focus is providing solutions to doctors, scientists, lab directors, and many other healthcare and pharma professionals committed to answering the same questions.
QIAGEN was established in 1984 by three young scientists, Metin Colpan, Karsten Henco, and Jurgen Schumacher, and their doctoral supervisor Detlev Riesner. All four shared the same goal of supplying products that can give valuable molecular insights.
After its founding, the company introduced the first plasmid kit in 1986. Later, in 1996, it introduced the BioRobot 9600, its first benchtop workstation. That same year, it completed its initial public offering on the NASDAQ and became one of the first European companies to go public in an IPO.
QIAGEN’s holding company, QIAGEN N.V. is located in Venlo, the Netherlands. Currently, Thierry Bernard (Chief Executive Officer) leads the company with other executive members, including Roland Sackers (Chief Financial Officer) and five senior vice presidents who manage different business and operation areas.
Given below is a brief overview of recent major developments at QIAGEN:
- 2016: QIAGEN acquired Exiqon A/S to unlock solutions to cancer and other diseases.
- 2017: QIAGEN acquired OmicSoft Corporation and gained FDA regulatory approval for QuantiFERON-TB Gold Plus.
- 2018: QIAGEN partnered with NeuMoDx Molecular Inc., launched QIAstat-Dx point-of-care testing system, and transferred listing to the New York stock exchange (NYSE)—using ticker QGEN.
- 2019: Acquired the digital PCR assets of Formulatrix, Inc., a developer of laboratory automation solutions.
- 2020: QIAGEN put down the acquisition offer by Thermo Fisher Scientific (for 11.5 billion USD at that time) and bought 80.1% shares of euMoDx Molecular Inc.
This article covers the innovative products built by QIAGEN over the years and introduces you to the ways it’s helping scientists make breakthrough discoveries in different life sciences areas.
Don’t have the budget to purchase lab equipment outright? Consider leasing through Excedr to save your lab time and money. Browse your leasing options today!
QIAGEN delivers products that provide molecular insights into working samples in faster, simpler, and more efficient ways. It provides end-to-end workflows and has applications in life sciences, molecular diagnostics, and public safety for everyday use.
1. Discovery & Translation Research
QIAGEN offers digital devices starting from automated nucleic acid purification technologies, real-time PCR, to data analysis and result interpretations. Some examples of QIAGEN products that help you excel in your research include RNeasy kits, DNeasy Blood & Tissue Kit, and QIAGEN multiplex PCR Kit.
These products have applications in the following workflows:
- DNA & RNA Purification
- Protein Purification
- Exosomes & CTCs
- Sample Collection & Stabilization
- Custom LNA Oligonucleotides
- Next-generation Sequencing
- ISH & Northern Blotting
- Functional & Cell Analysis
- Lab Essentials
- GeneGlobe Design & Analysis
2. Diagnostics & Clinical Research:
QIAGEN is helping researchers fight against fatal diseases and pandemic situations. In a recent press release, QIAGEN launched a Covid-19 test kit, Artus Prep&Amp UM Kit, for detection of SARS-CoV-2 (coronavirus) in no less than two minutes.
You can find a range of products for DNA/RNA purification, gene expression analysis, and next-generation sequencing that have applications in the following research categories:
- TB Management
- Solutions for lab-developed Tests
- Sexual & Reproductive Health
- Infectious Disease
- Sample Processing
3. Human ID & Forensics:
Forensics have to face severe challenges in analyzing the samples collected from tough environments and locations. This is made easy by QIAGEN that offers products for automated purification of DNA, multiplex amplification, sample preparation, and innovative assay setup.
Below are the categories of applications for QIAGEN products in Human ID & Forensics:
- Sample Collection
- Investigator Solutions
- Human DNA Quantification
- STR Technology
- Next-generation Sequencing
4. Next-generation Sequencing:
Next-generation sequencing has revolutionized genomic research. QIAGEN NGS products let you utilize all aspects of NGS by providing dedicated NGS target enrichment, library preparation, and single-cell solutions. The application of QIAGEN products include:
- DNA Sequencing
- RNA Sequencing
- Multinalyte Sequencing
- Sample Quality Control
- Whole Genome/Transcriptome Amplification
- DNA Methylation Analysis
- Information & Data
4. Instruments & Automation:
QIAGEN offers automated devices that provide high-quality data and digital insights for your collected samples at just a push of a button. In this category, you can find products for sample isolation, preparation & purification, and assay setup. These digital products offer an application for:
- GeneReader NGS System
- Nucleic Acid Purification
- PCR Instruments
- PCR Setup & Liquid Handling
- Quality Control & Fragment Analysis
- Service Solutions
- Analytics Software
- Automatable Kits
- Tissue Disruption
5. Informatics & Data:
Bioinformatics is a field of computational sciences that helps in scientific research through computer programs with applications in determining gene and protein functions and establishing evolutionary relationships.
QIAGEN provides bioinformatics and digital solutions through comprehensive analysis packages, software applications, and genomics repositories. Use QIAGEN informatics and data products to streamline workflow in these areas:
- Analysis & Visualization
- Interpretation & Content Databases
- Enterprise Solutions
- Clinical Genomic Research
- GeneGlobe Design & Analysis
6. OEM by QIAGEN:
Working on a breakthrough and want your product to be the first to hit the market? The OEM solution provides you with the opportunity to partner alongside QIAGEN to ensure your innovation takes the shape of a market-ready product.
With OEM, you have components from the vast QIAGEN product range at your disposal. Furthermore, you reserve confidentiality, operational efficiencies, and cost control. This ensures you are able to achieve your product goals without compromising on quality.
The OEM by QIAGEN offers customized kits including kit reagents and components, custom fills or other bulk formats, lyophilization, and a patent and licensing check.
Applications and Insights
QIAGEN’s innovative sample and assay technologies cover a range of applications, from diving into the interaction of cells and plant research, to transplantation testing.
Given below is a list of applications supported by QIAGEN’s products:
- Infectious Disease: QIAGEN offers a range of diagnostic assays for the detection of bacterial and viral pathogens. Together, the QIAsymphony RGQ and Rotor-Gene Q MDx offer an end-to-end workflow—from sample collection to result in production.
- Cancer Research: QIAGEN Cancer Research Community is dedicated to discovering ways to prevent, detect, and treat cancer. You can access powerful tools to study: cancer genomics, cancer liquid biopsy, RNA biomarkers, and cancer microbiome. QIAGEN regularly hosts webinars on different cancer research areas and successes.
- PCR and Digital PCR: QIAGEN tackles the irreproducibility of PCR results (which occurs due to multistep procedures and sample variations) by providing foolproof standardized PCR procedures. You can find products according to your needs in three categories: end-point PCR, real-time PCR, and digital PCR.
- Molecular Biology Research: QIAGEN helps molecular biologists with products that have applications in DNA extraction and analysis, as well as RNA extraction and stabilization. It also offers formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded (FFPE) resources for highly efficient methods for analyte purification and downstream molecular analysis.
- GeneGlobe Design & Analysis: From target exploration to data analysis, Geneglobe saves researchers time by providing tools that streamline the complete research cycle. It lets you navigate knowledge, tools, and analysis for your research target.
- Next-generation Sequencing: QIAseq technologies unlock the full potential of NGS in gene expression studies, biomarker research, and genome profiling (to identify variants in fatal diseases).
- Genomic Services: QIAGEN genomic services include an extensive knowledge base covering different biology research areas, bioinformatics capabilities, standardized workflows, and full safety of your data.
- Informatics & Data: QIAGEN’s bioinformatics services include access to 40 genomic, clinical and pharmaceutical databases, NGS analysis and interpretations with bioinformatics software solutions, and other consulting services.
- Microbiome: QIAGEN’s automated solutions help microbiome researchers analyze microbiomes regardless of the sample origin and provide high-yield and unbiased results. The complete workflow includes technologies for sample preparation, nucleic acid isolation, and PCR and NGS to digital insights.
- Liquid Biopsy: Liquid biopsy is a technique that allows scientists to study and detect diseases, like cancer, at an early stage. QIAGEN offers tools for the test with improved standardization, sensitivity, and specificity at every step of the workflow.
- Oncology: QIAGEN offers a comprehensive portfolio of assays for rapid and sensitive detection and quantification of oncology markers. It also helps in the analysis of genomic variants such as mutations, insertions, deletions, and fusions.
- TB Management: Tuberculosis infections affect one-third of the world’s population. QIAGEN’s QuantiFERON-TB Gold Plus is a validated and leading TB test worldwide for the accurate detection of latent tuberculosis infections.
- Partnering for Precision Diagnostics: QIAGEN provides companion diagnostics (CDx) with proven in vitro diagnostic solutions across multiple analytes (plasma, DNA, and RNA) and multiple technologies (from qPCR to NGS).
- Epigenomics: QIAGEN offers a broad range of products for epigenetics applications. The service includes targeted methylation sequencing, single primer extension technology, and automated pyrosequencing, which also work well for FFPE and liquid biopsy samples.
- Transplant: The FDA-approved artus CMV RGQ MDx workflow helps manage the Cytomegalovirus (CMV) in organ transplant patients. It takes only 3 hours to produce results after loading the samples.
- Human Identification and Forensics: QIAGEN has innovative solutions for every step of the human identification pipeline. It helps forensic labs to standardize sample processing (even for challenging samples) and forensic testing. The products provide reproducible, safe, and easy sample collection, transport, and processing.
Learn more about QIAGEN’s cutting-edge technologies at www.QIAGEN.com.
Excedr can help your lab get the technology and equipment it deserves. Furthermore, when you lease through Excedr, you can accelerate your R&D and achieve your milestones faster! Get your customized leasing solution now.
How Excedr Can Help Accelerate Your Lab’s R&D
QIAGEN is one of the leading companies in providing solutions for molecular diagnostics. Its high-throughput products streamline the workflow of disease diagnosis and treatments. It provides end-to-end solutions from sample collection, preparation, processing, to final results.
However, buying each and every instrument is not always an affordable option. Excedr provides leasing solutions for all high-throughput life sciences and biotech equipment and technologies—the smartest way to conduct and excel in your research.
With Excedr, you get affordable and flexible lease packages that relieve you from the headache of buying and maintaining lab equipment.
Call one of our leasing experts today and we will walk you through our customizable lease program!